Addisyn's Wigs for Kids Challenge


I am the mother to 3 beautiful healthy girls and so proud of each and every one of them. Addisyn, my oldest daughter who turns 5 this month shared something with me almost 2 years ago. When i asked her if she wanted to get a hair cut around the age of 3 she told me no that she wanted to grow it out and give it to a girl who doens't have any hair. I asked her where she had heard that from and she didn't really give me an answer. She was already in pre-k so I thought maybe it was something they had talked about or learned in class. I have brought it to her attention several times and the same answer remains-I don't want to cut my hair, I wanna grow it out and give it to a girl who doesn't have any. So we have been growing it out, getting trims in between to keep her locks healthy.

Addisyn with her hairdresser Autum

I'll never forgot the first time we had the "hair conversation" I instantly had tears in my eyes and was so proud of my Addisyn and how she wanted to do something for others-and not just something but a huge dedication on her part of growing her hair out to at least 12" and someday cutting it off to donate to a child who doesn't have any.

I was then left to figure out where and how to go about donating her hair. I did some research and based on Addisyn's strong desire to have her hair go to a child, we choose the organization  Wigs for Kids . They are a non-profit organization that was founded in 1981 and relies soley on donations. Wigs for kids helps children up to age 18 who have hair loss due to a health condition, medical treatment or burn accident. Wigs for Kids creates hand tied custom hair replacements made completely form human hair that range in costs from $1500-$3000. It takes 20-30 ponytails to make one hair piece. Each piece is made to look just like the child's own hair. These pieces are then given to children who otherwise would not be able to afford a hair replacement system.

Wigs for Kid's mission is to help kids feel good about themselves and not have to worry about their appearance while dealing with a tragic event.

Addisyn has decided that not only does she want give a child her hair but also do a fundraiser to possibly help fund the cost of one hair piece. We are currently collecting donations until the time comes to cut Addisyn's hair. She just had a trim last night and her hairdresser Autum at Season's of Style said she is at 9" of where we would cut the hair, so we still have a good 3-4" to go. Addisyn needs a minimum of 12" for the donation.

Addisyn all dolled up after her trim 1/31/12
 
If you feel you would like to help Addisyn fullfill this request she has made, please mail donations to:

Addisyn Dietrich
1634 28 1/2 Avenue S
Fargo, ND  58103

and if you would like to learn more about Wigs for Kids please visit their website at

Addisyn with her first donation check
thanks aunti Marian

Addisyn with her 2nd donation check
thanks Aunti Jo!
We will continue with updates on Addisyn's progress so be sure to check back!

No comments: