Grandma Gerti

I don't often have the time to blog and usually just post deals or must have items but today I feel the need to talk about a woman who has been in my life for many years, My Grandma Gerti.

This Sunday shortly after church I received a phone call from my mom saying that Grandma (who is in the nursing home with alzheimers) wasn't doing well and has not been eating for the past couple of days and hasn't been responding. Her vitals remain stable at this point and we hope to make it back in time to have one more visit with her this Christmas.

Growing up my Grandma & Grandpa on my mother's side were very much a part of our lives-I always remember going to their house for almost every holiday-especially Easter. Grandma always had everything ready to dye eggs the night we came. We all got up super early on Sunday for church and still rushed out the door to make it on time. On Sunday afternoon we would get to find the baskets-there were always peanuts and lots of candy in the baskets. Grandma Gerti was a good cook- made real home cooked food-I don't have any favorites that stick out but always something yummy and good to fill us up.  She always had candy hidden in her hall closet and if we were really good we would usually get to have some. I will always remember the time my brother and I got almond joy candy bars-we weren't sure what they were but thought they had to be good so heck we tried em. Well, they ended up in the toilet without Grandma knowing and neither of us have had one since!

Some of my favorite memories with Grandma was when they would come to our house in Bismarck. She would always have some goodies wrapped in her purse that she brought with her or the famous brown paper bags that kept us wondering what could be inside-usually some peanuts and jelly beans or orange slices. Her favorite gift to give the grandchildren at christmas was underwear and they usually were always just alittle too big for us.

She was a very hands on Grandma-loved to color and do puzzles with us. I remember doing the same puzzle over and over with her-she never hesitated and always took the time.

Another one of my fond memories was when my aunt and uncle left their 3 kids and my mom and dad left us 3 kids with my Grandma and Grandpa -which I think was about a week if I do remember correctly. The parents went skiing at Lake Tahoe and all 6 grandchildren were left in the care of our so over protective grandparents-we thought so at the time but I don't think now having kids we would have done things any different. We sure gave them challenges that week and I wish Grandma could tell her side of the story of the things that went on that week. I think 4 of us were not even yet in school just the two older boys-had to be crazy in that house!

Today I have spent most of the day baking up christmas goodies-listening to Christmas music but just can't seem to keep from worrying about my Grandma. It seems that when they are older it should be easier to prepare for them to be gone, but when someone like my Grandma who was such a big part of our lives it still is very real and tough to grasp.

I pray today that she is able to sleep and not be in any pain and will soon get to rest in peace with my Grandpa.  

Thanks for the many great years we got to have with you. I love you Grandma Gerti.

No comments: